We are looking for Members who are keen Mountain Bikers (MTB) who would like to get involved with the development of the capability to Scouts Qld to deliver Mountain Bike Activities particularily when the YPR Outdoor Adventure Skills Program is launched in 2019.
We are planning for this Workshop to be conducted on the weekend of the 16th and 17th of September 2017 based from Karingal Campsite at Mt Cotton in the Eastern suburbs of Brisbane.
We do think at this point in time we will have a need for session on Friday Evening the 15th and Saturday Evening the 16th so this will be a residential program.
We will be working out of the “Cooinda” at Karingal as the base of our Workshop and the Cabins will be available for overnight accomadation.
Over the weekend participants will be able to work with a very experienced MTB Instructor from the Outdoor Recreation Industry to have their riding skills assessed against the Scouts Australia Level 1 and Level 2 MTB skill pursuits and also work on the components of the MTB Guide Units.
The Scouts Australia Mountain Biking Stream is made up of the following:
Level 1 Mountain Biking (Basic)
- SISO CYT 201A – Select, set up and maintain a bike
- SISO CYT 201A – Demonstrate basic cycling skills
- SISO MBK 201A – Demonstrate basic off-road cycling skills
Level 2 Mountain Biking (Advanced)
- SISO MBK 302A – Apply advanced off-road cycling skills
- SISO NAV 302A – Apply navigation skills in an intermediate environment
Guide Mountain Biking
- Hold a Certificate of Adult Leadership
- Have completed the Basic Outdoor Skills Course
- Hold the Level 1 and Level 2 MTB Skills Units
- Hold the Scouts Aust Enterprise Trainer Skill Set
- Hold a current CPR and First Aid Certificate
- have achieved the SISO MBK 303A – Guide off-road cycle tours Unit
Depending on where you are at with your personal riding will depend on what parts of the above you will be able to achieve.
We will need to have a minimum of 10 participants on this course to cover the costs of the Instructor for the weekend.
The cost of the weekend will be $ 90 per participant. This fee does not include catering and the course is self catered. Shops and Eateries are close to Karingal if required.
Branch Mountain Bikes will be available for hire if participants need to have access to a bike for the weekend.
To book in to the workshop please complete an A15 Form and Quote the following Course Number – 9951701
Very excited about this development for Adventurous Activities in the Branch.
Thanks and Regards,
BC – Adventurous Activities : Scouts Queensland