When Que first visited the Queensland Branch Scout Headquarters, she got an invitation to return back to meet the members of the Queensland Branch Rover Council. Que was keen to meet the Rovers as she had heard that this was very first section of scouts to camp at Gilwell Park, UK, which was the home to leader training. They had been assigned by Baden Powell to help prepare the campsite for the first Wood Badge course which was due to commence in September 1919.
The term “Rover Scouts” was first used by Baden-Powell in the Boy Scouts Headquarters Gazette in August 1918, and the scheme was fully established by November 1919. Baden-Powell set about writing a handbook for the new scheme, which was published in 1922 as the book “Rovering to Success”. According to Baden Powell, “Rover Scouting is a preparation for life, and also a pursuit for life.”
As Que sat at the door, she watched as lots of Rovers entered the room. She had met some Rovers, but not seen so many in uniform, with their Branch Adviser (Rovers) in attendance. They seemed to be coming from all parts of Queensland. She got to shake paws with some old friends, and got new acquaintances to sign her log book, and take a photo with her.
Queensland Branch Scout Headquarters, Dixon Street, Auchenflower was completed in October 1986, having replaced the previous HQ at B-P House, Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley. The building consists of administrative offices, meeting rooms, a small library and training areas. The building cost $800,000 at the time, and apart from a State Government Grant of $150,000, was funded through fundraising activities and reserves.