EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Expressions of interest are sought from current youth members who are active in their sections to join the Qld Branch Youth Council for a one year period. A team of 24 young people from across Queensland, and from Scout, Venturer Scout and Rover Scout Sections, form the Branch Youth Council and provide advice back to members of the Branch on a range of issues.
The Branch Youth Council consists of the following:
- 13 Region representatives (one for each Region, selected locally by the Region Commissioners and Region Teams for each Region)
- 1 Rover Scout representative (selected by the Queensland Branch Rover Council)
- 1 Venturer Scout representative (selected by the section Branch Commissioner)
- 1 Scout representative (selected by the section Branch Commissioner)
- 1 Cub Scout representative (selected by the section Branch Commissioner)
- 1 Joey Scout representative (selected by the section Branch Commissioner)
- 6 representatives selected through a general application process
The Council has one face to face meeting annually (in March) to discuss a range of topics and plan future discussions for the year ahead. Each month, online meetings are held to continue these topic discussions. The Council will have an important role in providing youth input and guidance on Scouting in Queensland across a range of topics. The Branch Youth Council identifies areas where improvements could be made (or is referred topics by members of Scouting) and researches, discusses, and makes recommendations to the relevant groups.
The annual face-to-face meeting will be held at Baden-Powell Park, Samford, on March 13-15, 2020. It is a great opportunity to meet the other Council members in person. Don’t worry if you don’t live in South East Qld as we will cover the cost of attending the conference (incl. travel). In fact, we encourage you to apply no matter where you live as we would love representatives from across Qld.
The Branch Youth Council is open to all Scout, Venturer Scout and Rover Scout members of Queensland Branch aged between 13 and 23 (as at March 1, 2020). Appointment is by invitation from the Chief Commissioner of Queensland. Applications should be made on the attached form and submitted by December 1, 2019.
Further information can be obtained from https://scoutsqld.com.au/contact-us/branch-youth-council/ or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.